Sunday, March 1, 2020

Crow Acrylic Painting


I finished this about a week ago.  It is the largest painting I have done in a while - 16.5 by 20.5 inches.  I made it those dimensions because 16 by 20 is a standard size for frames and windows cut in mat boards.  I had a lot of fun painting this,  fairly simple design with such a dark subject against a bright background.  I will probably go back to painting a little smaller for the next ones since I will be able to produce them a little faster.  I am enjoying the switch to coldpress watercolor paper - it is much easier to get smoother blends.  The only thing I miss is that opaques do not like the surface of the watercolor paper since they tend to soak into the paper instead of floating on the surface.  As a result, opaques look duller on watercolor paper.  I did manage to do some opaques on the crow since he is so dark that the paint shows up quite clearly despite becoming duller afterwards.

No comments:

Post a Comment